PUBLIC ADVISORY NO SWIMMING AT THE BEACH
BEACH GOERS ADVISED TO STAY OUT OF THE WATER
The National Weather Service has issued a beach hazard statement for Lake County.
The Beach Hazard Statement in effect through Wednesday evening.
Gary Parks Department Lifeguards Advise beach goers not to go in the water at Gary beaches.
See National Weather Service Advisory:
Beach Hazard Statement from 1PM CDT TUE until 7PM CDT WED bulletin remains in effect for Lake County, IN
BEACH HAZARDS STATEMENT IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A BEACH HAZARDS STATEMENT...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING.
* LOCATION...LAKE MICHIGAN BEACHES OF NORTHWEST INDIANA.
* HIGH WAVE ACTION AND DANGEROUS SWIMMING CONDITIONS EXPECTED.
* FORECAST WAVE HEIGHTS...5 TO 8 FEET TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING, 4 TO 7 FEET WEDNESDAY.
* STRONG RIP CURRENTS AND STRUCTURAL CURRENTS EXPECTED.
LIFE THREATENING WAVES AND CURRENTS ARE EXPECTED AT THE BEACHES. PEOPLE VISITING THE BEACHES SHOULD STAY OUT OF THE WATER.
RIP CURRENTS ARE POWERFUL CHANNELS OF WATER FLOWING QUICKLY AWAY FROM SHORE, WHICH OCCUR MOST OFTEN AT LOW SPOTS OR BREAKS IN SANDBARS. RIP CURRENTS CAN SWEEP YOU INTO DEEPER WATER.
STRUCTURAL CURRENTS FORM ALONG PIERS WHERE LONGSHORE CURRENTS AND WAVE ACTION FLOW INTO THE STRUCTURE. STRUCTURAL CURRENTS CAN SWEEP YOU INTO DEEPER WATER ALONG THE PIER STRUCTURE.
EXPOSED BEACHES ARE MORE LIKELY TO EXPERIENCE THE MOST SIGNIFICANT WAVE AND CURRENT IMPACTS. IMPACTS AT BEACHES WITH PROTECTIVE BREAKWALLS OR JETTIES WILL BE SUBJECT TO THE ORIENTATION OF STRUCTURES AS WELL AS WIND AND WAVE DIRECTION.
- Watch the U.S Steel Press Conference - August 16, 2018
- Media Advisory Indpendence Day Parade Winners Announced - August 16, 2018
- Nipsco Road Closure - August 15, 2018 (Closure Map)
- Community Development Dollar House Program - August 15, 2018
- Governor Holcomb Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson Press Conference Tomorrow - August 15, 2018
- Gary Hosts U.S. Senator Todd Young Affordable Housing Press Conference - August 10, 2018
- Gary For Life All Things Art Display - August 10, 2018
- Indpendence Day Parade Winners Announced - August 8, 2018
- Gary Indpendence Day Parade Winners Announced - August 6, 2018
- National Night Out 2018 - August 6, 2018
- Demolition National Guard - August 2, 2018
- FREE Back 2 School Health Fair and Giveaway - July 25, 2018
- ADA Anniversary - July 25, 2018
- Divers Recover Body - July 24, 2018
- Gary joins other cities in National Night Out Tuesday Aug 7, Froebel Park - July 18, 2018
- Gary Awarded Cities of Services Grant - July 16, 2018
- 5x5x5 Clean Up Second District - May 16, 2018
- Media Advisoriy Ten Point Press Conference - May 11 2018
- Steel City Landscapers Kickoff May 19th - May 10 2018
- FEDERAL GOVERNMENT RELEASES DISASTER FUNDS - May 5 2018
- Gary Looks to 2019 for Gary Air Show - 04/27/2018
- Gary To Receive Grant To Assist Homeless Veterans - 04/06/2018
- Youth Services Connecting Children Grant - 04/06/2018
- Press Release SR 53 (Broadway Blvd.) Lane Closures in Gary/Merrillville - 03/29/2018
- Press Release GHA Receives HUD Grant - 03/23/2018
- Press Release Flood Information - 03/05/2018
- Press Release Flooding in the City - 03/01/2018
- Press Release Flood Information - 02/28/2018
- Press Release Redevelopment City Methodist Workshop - 02/28/2018
- Press Release Redevelopment Prevervation Tour Funding - 02/26/2018
- Mayor is First VP of National League of Cities 2018 - 11/20/2017
- Snow Removal Plan - 11/01/2017
- Press Release Hatcher - 10/26/2017
- Press Release Thanksgiving Giveaway 2017 - 10/11/2017
- Media Advisory Fire Station #3 Open House - 10/11/2017
- Gary Responds to Amazon Bid - 10/05/2017
- Gary for Life Basketball League Tuesdays and Thursdays - 08/03/2017
- 2 TOWN HALL MEETING PANELISTS - 08/24/2017
- Gary Airport Takes Step to Establish Customs Facility - 08/03/2017
- Back 2 School Giveaway Sponsorship - 06/2017
- Gary Discusses Activation of Port Authority - 07/24/2017
- Gary to Host BrownGirl Village - 07/21/2017
- Media Advisory Reed Park Opening - 07/12/2017
- 5x5x5 5th District Community Clean-up - 06/29/2017
- 6th District Dumpster Day - 06/29/2017
- Mayor Recaps Meeting with Walgreens - 06/28/2017
- GPTC Schedules Public Hearing to Discuss Service Reductions 06/21/2017
- 2015 PSCP Chair Appointment - 06/21/2017
- Zika National Week of Action - 06/20/2017
- Vexor - New Engineered Fuel Plant Hosting Open House - 06/26/2017
- Independence Day Parade 2017 Route Change 06/23/2017
- Clean Water Festival - 06/22/2017
- American Health Care Act Response - 06/21/2017
- Back 2 School Giveaway Sponsorship - 06/2017
- Gary Places in 100 Top Cities 05/12/2016
- Marquette Park 2016 - 05/24/2017
- Wear Orange Gun Violence Awareness Day 05/31/2017
- Redvelopment Master Development Proposals - 03/22/2017
- Immigration Day of Action - 03/21/2017
- Proclamation Cities Immigration Day of Action - 03/21/2017
- Mayor Responds to President's Budget - 03/16/2017
- Partners Demolition 2017 03/06/2017
- Gary Canvassing City Neighborhoods After Storm Leaves Heavy Flooding - 03/01/2017
- Community Garden Meeting and Workshop - 02/28/2017
- Re-Entry Coalition - 09/15/2016
- State Grant Road & Bridges - 08/25/2016
- 9-11 Commemoration 2016 08/25/2016
- City Centre Plaza Bids Packges Available 08/23/2016
- Back 2 School Release - 08/19/2016
- Gary Hosts Counsel General of Japan - 07/06/2016
- NIPSCO AND SUMMER JOBS - 06/24/2016
- Public Safety Round-table - 05/26/2016
- Washington DC Visit - 05/19/2016
- NBP Convention Vendor Space - 05/18/2016
- Summer Opportunity Project - 05/18/2016
- Domestic Violence Awareness Campagin - 05/13/2016
U.S Steel Press Conference - August 16, 2018
AARP Indiana - This is Gary
Mayor speaks on IUN and City of Gary partnership / University Park